Autor Thema: Handling EASY/MFD via internet  (Gelesen 13960 mal)

Offline jari

Handling EASY/MFD via internet
« am: Februar 19, 2007, 20:17:24 Nachmittag »
Hello!

It seems to be quite difficult to make a cost-effective and user-friendly EASY/MFD application with conventional GSM/SMS technology. As I found there is EASY209-SE ethernet gateway module available. And an OPC Server is available, too. Still, I have some questions:

1. Is the OPC server only for PC (WinXP etc.) applications?

2. How about multimedia phones? Does Moeller have a solution for accessing EASY with a multimedia phone? For example, Nokia N73 has an operating system "S60 software on Symbian OS", as Nokia tells on its website. As I understood, S60 is like Windows in PC:s. Does Moeller have an interface for S60? Or does Moeller have any plans for making this kind of wireless access possible?

3. I am trying to find a wireless access solution for a consumer product. The manufacturing amount of the product will be over 100 units per year. Would Moeller be interested in helping me to find a convenient solution?

Best Regards,

Jari

Offline patwoods

Re: Handling EASY/MFD via internet
« Antwort #1 am: Februar 20, 2007, 23:10:27 Nachmittag »
Hello Jari
Can you help?
I am trying to remote monitour a easy 700 via my pc at home. It is running a woodchip boiler I have been developing.I am trying to use a US robotics rs 232 56k modem to hook up to the easy.Is this possible?Do I need to change the program in 'circuit diagram' mode? If so how?My knowledge is limited but I would like to have a go,could do with your expert advice.Hope you can help.Thanks.Pat woods

Offline Tixi-Support

• Tixi Support Hotline
    • Tixi.Com Industriemodems
« Antwort #2 am: Februar 21, 2007, 09:42:46 Vormittag »
Hi Jari,

It seems to be quite difficult to make a cost-effective and user-friendly EASY/MFD application with conventional GSM/SMS technology.

we offer mobile devices (GSM/SMS) with direct Moeller Easy support, which means we have access to most of the variables of an Easy 800/MFD.
If you need a GPRS (always connected, only volume will be charged) or Ethernet solution, we can also offer you special devices for that.

2. How about multimedia phones? Does Moeller have a solution for accessing EASY with a multimedia phone? For example, Nokia N73 has an operating system "S60 software on Symbian OS", as Nokia tells on its website. As I understood, S60 is like Windows in PC:s. Does Moeller have an interface for S60? Or does Moeller have any plans for making this kind of wireless access possible?

Our devices also have a bulit in webserver, so you can use the web browser of your multimedia phone or PDA to visualize the Easy 800/MFD data.

Check out our small live demo at
http://webcpu.tixi.de:8080/index_en.html

Best regards,
Tixi.Com Support Hotline
Modems mit Easy-Unterstützung
Alarme, Datenlogger, Fernwirken, Webserver

Offline jari

« Antwort #3 am: Februar 21, 2007, 19:25:06 Nachmittag »
Hello patwoods,

Maybe moderators can tell a real truth and give a better answer to your question, but here is what I have found:

I haven't found a solution for connecting EASY via 56k modem. I suppose EASY-SOFT simply hasn't that kind of function. I have experience with Omron industrial PLCs and they have modem setup section in their programming software. However, I think that modem is only a "COM port extension". I mean that it should not be a problem in programming software if you want to place your COM port in the other side of the earth. I have used a lot of hours for searching a software which would open a telephone line from my computer's modem to other modem and then it would give a virtual COM port for use in programming software etc. I mentioned virtual COM port, because I suppose this kind of software reserves a physical COM port for connecting itself to a modem in a local computer. After opening telephone line this software would keep the local physical COM port open for communication and it would generate a virtual COM port for communication with EASY-SOFT. After pressing "Online" button in EASY-SOFT it would connect to virtual COM port and this separate software would transfer data between virtual and physical COM ports.

But I haven't yet found this kind of software.

Well, I suppose I wrote above a specification for a program... Someone with better programming skills may use it with no cost. Maybe there are some technical problems with that kind of function but that is my dream until someone proves that it is impossible to solve that way. Or until someone makes that kind of program.

I hope this made you feel better, patwoods.

Hello Tixi-Support,

Well, I knew that you have a modem available. But connecting to ethernet and that way to internet was not my problem. It can be done with EASY209-SE module. I think Tixi modem is a very good solution for the cases where is no ethernet available. But my application comes to people's houses where - usually - already is an ADSL line and therefore an ethernet switch available. I suppose people need to subscribe a GSM/GPRS SIM card and pay for monthly and data transfer payment if they want to connect via Tixi modem. If I offer them an extra module which they can use for connecting to the ADSL line they already have, it would be more attractive. With no extra costs - well, static IP address may cost something.

I think this is only a question about a software which could be used for connecting to EASY and sending setpoints and receiving numerical/status information. If I have a correct understanding, this can be done with a PC by making a VisualBasic application and maybe with the help of OPC server. If there is an EASY209-SE module, the connection can be done over internet, is that correct? My question was that does anyone know whether the same can be done with a multimedia phone which has a connection to internet, too. But it doesn't use Windows as a platform, but something else. And that is the main problem, I suppose. I have some programming skills with VB, but I have no experience in multimedia phone programming. I only want to know the opportunities and limitations so that I can give realistic specifications for the people who can make those applications. Maybe I could get further education for programming, too but I don't want to start before I know this kind of programming is possible.

Best Regards,

jari

Offline Tixi-Support

• Tixi Support Hotline
« Antwort #4 am: Februar 22, 2007, 10:05:33 Vormittag »
Hello patwoods, hello Jari,

I haven't found a solution for connecting EASY via 56k modem. I suppose EASY-SOFT simply hasn't that kind of function. I have experience with Omron industrial PLCs and they have modem setup section in their programming software. However, I think that modem is only a "COM port extension".

We have a solution to connect via 56k modem to a Moeller Easy, the "Tixi Super Modem AT V.90" (Code: SM03, ~140€) http://www.tixi.com/index.php?id=217&L=1  :D
There i a special function within the modem, which is necessary for the power supply of the PC-CAB logic (DTR line).  That's the reason why it's so difficult to connect a "normal" modem (e.g. USR) to a EASY.  :o
You are right, that the EASY-SOFT does not have a "dial" function. Therefore we have a tool called "R-CON" that establishes the connection and then hands over the COM port to the EASY-SOFT.

Well, I knew that you have a modem available. But connecting to ethernet and that way to internet was not my problem. It can be done with EASY209-SE module.

But does the EASY209-SE has a webserver inside ?  ;)

I suppose people need to subscribe a GSM/GPRS SIM card and pay for monthly and data transfer payment if they want to connect via Tixi modem.

No, they dont.   ;)
Our GSM modems do support "PrePaid / pay as you go" SIM cards without monthly fee.
We have PSTN modems for fixed lines.
We have ethernet modems for LAN / ADSL connections.

If I offer them an extra module which they can use for connecting to the ADSL line they already have, it would be more attractive. With no extra costs - well, static IP address may cost something.

If you use a dynamic DNS service (e.g. dyndns.org), they don't have to pay for a static IP.
Tixi.Com Support Hotline

Offline jari

« Antwort #5 am: Februar 22, 2007, 13:59:30 Nachmittag »
Thanks for information, Tixi-Support!

You wrote: "If you use a dynamic DNS service (e.g. dyndns.org), they don't have to pay for a static IP."

I am not an expert with computer networks, so I don't yet understand that. If I connect to Internet with any equipment, I have to put an IP address to that equipment, or I have to set it so that it gets the dynamic IP from the server of my service provider. Is that correct? How does dyndns help with connecting EASY209 to network? Do I get a static IP address for my use freely? In EASY209 settings there is only one way to put IP. The documents don'tell other way than to put the IP via configurator menu. It can't use dynamic IPs as Windows does.

However, if the only way is to buy a static IP from my service provider, the costs are quite high when compared with costs of SIM card. I checked this from some service providers. And not all service providers offer static IPs for "Charlie Brown". I was surprised. Then it makes Tixi modems more attractive.

What do you suggest for making an user-friendly and cost-effective control connection with a multimedia phone and what would be the equipment costs approximately?

Regards,

Jari

Offline Tixi-Support

• Tixi Support Hotline
« Antwort #6 am: Februar 22, 2007, 14:24:07 Nachmittag »
You wrote: "If you use a dynamic DNS service (e.g. dyndns.org), they don't have to pay for a static IP."
I am not an expert with computer networks, so I don't yet understand that. If I connect to Internet with any equipment, I have to put an IP address to that equipment, or I have to set it so that it gets the dynamic IP from the server of my service provider. Is that correct? How does dyndns help with connecting EASY209 to network? Do I get a static IP address for my use freely?

No, you don't get a static IP, but you get a subdomain name for free.
If you register an account at http://www.dyndns.com, you can choose a hostname, e.g.
Easy.dyndns.com.
For that you will get a username and password. The username and password has to be configured in your ADSL router (nearly all routers support this feature, called "DDNS" or "DynDNS").
Everytime the router connects to the internet, or every time it gets a new dynamicaly assigned IP from your ISP, the router will logon to DynDNS and update your IP details.

Therefore you can connect to your Easy via the name "easy209.dyndns.com" instead of the IP address.
BTW: You'll also have to setup "portwarding" in your router.
With your multimedia phone you can access the webpage with the data of your Easy via
http://easy.dyndns.com

What do you suggest for making an user-friendly and cost-effective control connection with a multimedia phone and what would be the equipment costs approximately?

Depends on what you already got.
A DSL router with DDNS is ~30€.
Our Ethernet device with webserver and Easy protocol is ~500€.
Our programming software (you'll need one single license) is ~240€.

We also offer complete ready2run projects at your needs, starting at 300€

For more information, please contact our sales team:
http://www.tixi.com/index.php?id=348&L=1
Tixi.Com Support Hotline

Offline jari

« Antwort #7 am: Februar 23, 2007, 13:18:16 Nachmittag »
Thanks for information, Tixi-Support,

Now I understand the meaning of "dyndns". It's quite clear when I am making a connection to my machine.

But still, what should I put to settings of EASY209-SE?

There are the following settings which should be made via configurator menu in EASY relay:
- IP address
- Subnet mask
- Gateway address
- Remote address
- Port-number
- Remote-port
- Baudrate
(according to Moeller document AWA2528-2294)

I suppose at least first four of those are for ethernet purposes. The last three I don't know, maybe for serial line. That document mentioned above is the only one I have found and it doesn't give more information.

So, what should I put e.g. to the setting "IP address"?

Offline Tixi-Support

• Tixi Support Hotline
« Antwort #8 am: Februar 23, 2007, 14:11:49 Nachmittag »
Hi Jari,
But still, what should I put to settings of EASY209-SE?
There are the following settings which should be made via configurator menu in EASY relay:
- IP address
- Subnet mask
- Gateway address
- Remote address
- Port-number
- Remote-port
- Baudrate
(according to Moeller document AWA2528-2294)
I suppose at least first four of those are for ethernet purposes. The last three I don't know, maybe for serial line. That document mentioned above is the only one I have found and it doesn't give more information.
So, what should I put e.g. to the setting "IP address"?

I've never used a EASY209-SE  8), but i'm pretty sure that the first three are depending on the
ADSL-router the you will use:

The IP address has to be one of the same network as the router (in most cases 192.168.0.x), the subnet mask has to match the mask of the router (in most cases 255.255.255.0) and the Gateway is the IP address of the router (maybe 192.168.0.1).

For the other parameters you better should ask moeller, i can only guess the meaning of them:
"Remote address" might be the IP address of the remote site thats connects to the EASY209-SE ?
"Port number" might be the port for the TCP/IP communication (has to match the software setting, and has also to be setup within "port forwarding" of your ADSL router) ?
"Remote-port" might be the TCP/IP port that the remote site (PC) uses ?
"Baudrate" maybe the baudrate of the EASY800/MFD (9600 or 19200) ?

Tixi.Com Support Hotline